Kitchen Design Tips for Small Kitchens
6 Kitchen Design Tips for Small Kitchens That You Can Implement on a Budget
Small kitchens are a challenge to renovate. As the heart of the home, we need our kitchens to look and feel inviting – but compact spaces do not always allow for statement design pieces. Thankfully, introducing style is entirely possible – but you need to know how to go about it. At GEZA, we have over 19 years of experience in the affordable housing market, and we know a thing or two about useful kitchen design tips. So, if your space is tight, and your budget even tighter, have a look at some of our inspired ideas on how to transform cramped kitchens.
- Start Off with Your Canvas. Strip back your cabinets, appliances, and counters and what is left? The floor and walls. Think of these two surfaces as your starting canvas from which to work. Replacing your floors altogether may be costly, but some flooring solutions such as luxury vinyl planks work wonderfully in small kitchens. For your floors, stick to neutral flooring that won’t distract from the overall look. Keep walls lighter in colour and stick to pastels and creams if you wish to avoid stark white altogether. Lighter shades allow the room to look and feel more spacious.
- Introduce a Splash of Colour. One of the best design tips you can carry with you into any room is to select a colour palette. Such a palette can contain four to five colours – such as white, grey, blue, and charcoal – that all complement each other and work well in a small space. These colours can then be incorporated into appliances, tablecloths, curtains, and any décor. The right colours will be calming, welcoming, and add life to your kitchen.
- Update Your Appliances. Your grandmother’s hand-me-down microwave might not add to the aesthetic you are looking to create, so updating your appliances over a few months is a way to save money and introduce items of better quality to your kitchen. Kettles, toasters, and even fridges are all easy to match in shades like white, silver, or black. For small kitchens, look for compact appliances that don’t draw the eye too much, as the room’s focus should be more on its overall aesthetic appeal.
- Replace Your Lighting Fixtures. When searching for design tips online, you will find that most home-improvement and décor websites mention light fixtures. This is because new lights really do transform a small room without taking up any functional space. Whether you want low hanging lights, delicate designs, or something bold and unique, your light fixtures of choice will add a lot of character to your kitchen.
- Don’t Forget Your Window Dressings. Some kitchens have windows, which provide an excellent opportunity to introduce some functional design. Some tips for window dressings we recommend include adding light, stylish curtains, or trendy blinds. While curtains may allow a space to look homier, be careful not to choose a fabric that is bulky and makes the room seem smaller. Shades, on the other hand, work well with a sleek and modern kitchen.
- Install New Kitchen Units. Finding counters, cabinets, sinks, fridges, and stoves to match one look is no small feat. Doing this wrong can, in fact, create a chaotic look where all you really want is seamless integration. No matter how many design tips for small kitchens you implement, you still need a functional space that looks good. Fortunately, at GEZA, we have the perfect solution for you. Our experience with small kitchens goes back to 1999 when we began supplying and installing a unique range of beautiful kitchen units. Our units are available in various colours and styles and will work for a room of just about any size. We not only use floor space but wall height as well – which means you have ample space to work and store food or kitchenware.
We hope our kitchen design tips for small spaces have inspired you – but if you find any difficulty implementing these tips, why not speak to us? We invite you to show us your ideas and we will advise you on products in our range that will suit your needs. For more information, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today.